Join the ASBMB and reap the benefits…
Special members’ rates to attend ASBMB annual conference including ComBio
ASBMB members get a substantial reduction registration fee to attend the annual ASBMB scientific conference. Every second year, the conference will be hosted independently by ASBMB, and will include overseas plenary presentations, speciality lectures, poster sessions, 3-minute poster presentations and an E/MCR mini-symposium.
ComBio (“combined biosciences”) is ASBMB’s national biennial conference run in conjunction with other societies. Programs feature world renowned international speakers alongside a range of high calibre Australian presenters. Meeting themes cover a wide range of topics to appeal across a broad spectrum of interests to biochemists and molecular biologists. ComBio is a fantastic networking opportunity, through both scientific and social events. You can learn about cutting-edge technology at the large trade exhibition run by our Sustaining Members.
Subscription to the Australian Biochemist
ASBMB’s electronic magazine, the Australian Biochemist, is a colourful and informative publication that you will receive three times a year. Keep informed about current research, events, personalities, awards and more. Find out about the issues that matter in the Australian and global scientific communities.
Awards, Medals and Fellowships
ASBMB recognises excellence by providing several competitive Medals and Awards for members at varying stages of their scientific careers. Travel fellowships are also awarded to outstanding PhD students and postdoctoral researchers to further their scientific development.
Other Core Activities
- We represent your interests at and provide contacts with other academic bodies, such as Science & Technology Australia (STA), Australian Academy of Science (AAS), International Union for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (IUBMB), Federation of Asian and Oceanian Biochemists and Molecular Biologists (FAOBMB), Australian Society for Medical Research (ASMR), Australia and New Zealand Society for Cell and Developmental Biology (ANZSCDB), Australian Society of Plant Scientists (ASPS) and New Zealand Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (NZSBMB). Our representatives attend the annual Science Meets Parliament Day.
- We allocate funds to our state representatives to support activities such as meetings, workshops and school science competitions.
- We support a diverse range of Special Interest Groups to provide a focus for members on specialist topics.
- We coordinate a community of Sustaining Members who sponsor events and communicate the availability of new relevant products.
Free Membership Eligibility
We offer free membership to first year HDR students whose supervisor is a current ASBMB member, and to retired members after continuous membership for 30 years.
Students get additional benefits from joining ASBMB – check them out here.
We are pleased to advise that three year subscriptions are available.
Subscription rates for the year commencing 1 July 2021. New members who join in the period 1 January to 30 June in any year will have their subscription payment credited and will be fully paid members up to the end of the following full subscription year.
- Ordinary Member $140.00 ($127.27 + $12.73 GST)
- Ordinary Member, Three Year Subscription (until 30 June 2024) $335.00 ($304.55 + $30.45 GST)
- Student Member $45.00 ($40.91 + $4.09 GST)
- Student Member, Three Year Subscription (until 30 June 2024) $107.00 ($97.27 + $9.73 GST)
- Retired Member $60.00 ($54.55 + $5.45 GST)
- Retired Member, Three Year Subscription (until 30 June 2024) $145.00 ($131.82 + $13.18 GST)
- Overseas Member* $65.00 (GST free)
- Overseas Member*, Three Year Subscription (until 30 June 2024) $157.00 (GST free)
- Retired Member with 30 years continuous membership Free
- 1st Year HDR Member** Free
* Overseas Membership is available to Ordinary Members residing overseas for more than 12 months.
** Student Member – if you are an HDR student and this is your initial application to join the Society, and your supervisor is an ASBMB member (or application for membership is made along with your application), your first year of membership will be free. Please go to the Join Offline section below to download and complete the membership form.
Please download the membership form and post the completed form to: ASBMB National Office: PO Box 2331 Kent Town, SA 5071
OR scan and email to the National Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Any enquires in regards to membership should be addressed to Chris Jay at email@example.com or phone 08 8362 0009 (within Australia) +61 8 8362 0009 (outside of Australia).